Tillha Kothi, situated close to the University campus is also popularly known as Rabindra Nath Bhavan which was once the residence of Rabindranath Tagore and it was from here parts of the Nobel prize winning “Gitanjali” were written. Tillha kothi, built on a mound, is proud testimony to the splendid past of sociocultural and historical heritage of the region.
The Kothi is said to be associated with Augustus Cleveland, Warren Hastings, his wife Rosa Hastings and Raja Chet Singh of the princely state of Oudh in the Colonial era. Originally owned by the Mahashyas’ of the Mahashya Deorhi of Nathnagar, who probably built the mound & the building, with a view to provide food-for work, as a relief , when acute famine created havoc, in the year 1770.The soil, dug out from the excavation of “Bhairav Talab”, close to Marwari College, was used to create the Mound (Tila). Mr.Augustus Cleveland, the first collector of Bhagalpur, lived in this building from 1774 to 1784.
Yet another legendary writer, Sri Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay (1876-1938), famous for his books “Devdas” & “Srikant” & who spent good 20 years at Bhagalpur, used to come & sit on the rear lawns of the building overlooking the Ganges. And it is here that he wrote large part of his classics “Srikant” & “Devdas”.
Tillha kothi (Rabindra Bhawan), is also being remembered for its role during the freedom movement. In the year 1942, when Mahatma Gandhi visited Bhagalpur, he was not allowed to address the public meeting in the city .A public meeting , was however organized in the foreground of the building,, where a large number of people participated. Mahatma Gandhi, addressed the crowd from the platform on the stairs of the building.
At present, Eastern wing, houses, Center for Regional Studies and the Western wing has a Museum of PG History department. The double storied middle portion, has two large halls, being used for organizing Seminar & Conference.
Rabindra Bhawan is also surrounded by lush greenery in addition to its great historical significance. It offers a great view of the surrounding landscape from its elevated floors. The building is currently used as the official office of the Archaeological department of TM Bhagalpur University and is believed to be the centre of excellence in the University. During winters, the morning fog and mist turn the view from the monument in a breath-taking landscape.
How To Reach
Located at Sitanabad, It is situated at a distance of mere 4. 7 Kms from Bhagalpur, Bihar and can be reached in just 20 mins via Tilkamanjhi – Champanagar Road by a personal vehicle.
Best Time To Visit
Timings : 9. 00 AM – 4. 00 PM, six days a week.
The entry to the monument is free of any charge. The monument remains closed on Sundays.
Visitors ideally spend about an hour appreciating the magnificent structure of Rabindra Bhawan.