The city is especially famous for the Ramakrishna Mission which follows the principles of Vedanta movement, spreading its beliefs on spirituality and education.
The Ramakrishna Ashram was established in 1927 with an attempt to provide relief to patients suffering from plague and Malaria in the Katihar-Purnia-Araria region.
Ramakrishna Math Purnea came into existence by the merger of Ramakrishna Ashrama Purnea in to The Ramakrishna Math Belur on 14-01-2020.
Ramakrishna Ashrama Purnea was started in 1927 by Swami Mahadevanandaji Maharaj (a disciple of Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi) who was helped by Swami Anupamanandaji Maharaj (a disciple of Srimat Swami Shivanandaji Maharaj) from very beginning who were running the Ashrama on their own with the help of devotees in same pattern of the Belur Math.
The first Basanti Durga Puja was performed by Revered Rammoy Maharaj (Swami Gourishwaranandaji Maharaj) and Swami Gadadharanandaji Maharaj (a disciple of Mahapurush ji Maharaj) was the Tantradharaka there who were Sannyasins of the Ramakrishna Order. Swami Vijayanandaji Maharaj (an independent monk, an initiated disciple of Srimat Swami Vishuddhanandaji Maharaj) was the secretary of the Ramakrishna Ashrama at the end. He wrote repeated letters to Belur Math Authorities to take over the Ashrama with the Belur Math. Finally, Ramakrishna Ashrama Purnea’s accounts were handed over to Ramakrishna Math Belur on 09-11-2019 and the formal inauguration of Ramakrishna Math Purnea was held on 14-01-2020 in a big public meeting.
Activities of the Math centre:
- Daily worship of Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna.
- Special Puja, Bhajan and cultural programs on the Tithi Puja (birth day acc. to Vishuddha Siddhanta almanac) of Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda
- Basanti Durga -Puja, Guru Poornima, Shiva Ratri etc. celebrations are observed
- Homeopathy Dispensary
- Lecture and Discourses on Shastra and life and teaching of Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sarada Devi, Swami Vivekananda and the direct disciples of Sri Ramakrishna.
- Relief work when needed
- After the completion of the necessary structures many more service programs for youth, children and adults will be conducted as:
a) Self-study facilities for local students
b) Yoga classes foy youth
c) Various medical camps
d) Value education programs for students
e) Orientation programs for youth
Ramakrishna Math Purnea is half km. from the Purnea Bus Stand in the north-east and 5 km. from Purnea Railway Station in the west..
8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m & 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
4.00 – 11:35 am& 4.00 – 9.05 pm
Bhatta Bazar, Purnea, Bihar 854301, India
Phone : 9588986194
(+91) 9588986194; 06454-796188